Educationist, Missionary, Linguist, Orientalist, Visionary… each facet of Dr. Wilson’s multidimensional personality was reflected in the institutions he founded.
Born in Lauder, Scotland on 1tth December 1804, he made India his home from 1829 onwards. Ambrolie House where he lived served as the nucleus of his educational, social and missionary activity. On November 26, 1829 the Ambrolie congregation met in his residence for the first time and worship continued here till 1869. On 28th February 1869, Ambrolie Mission Church opened for public worship and continues even today to be popular with the Marathi congregation. For several decades, he provided a space for discussions and research through the Oriental Christian Spectator which he edited.
In 1832, Wilson founded the English School which blossomed in to what is today Wilson School and Wilson College. His wife Margaret equally enthusiastic with educational activities, founded the St. Columba High School. Wilson College, founded twenty-five years prior to the University, looked after the educational needs of boys and girls across all faiths, social strata, castes and nationalities.
When in 1857, the University of Bombay was founded, Dr Wilson was one of its founding fathers and steered it towards excellence during its early formative years. He was one of the Fellows named in the Act of Incorporation of the University. The present building at Fort was built during his tenure as Vice Chancellor of the University. As a tribute to this extraordinary intellectual who served in various capacities as Dean, Syndic, examiner and paper setter, the University postponed all exams which were to be held on December