Microbiology DepartmentView Syllabus
Microbiology Department was established in 1962. The Department caters to Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Ph.D. Studies in Microbiology.
Vision of the department:
To establish the department, as a model centre of education and to prepare students from different backgrounds to face the professional challenges, of the outside world.
Research Activities of the department:
Microbiology department has received the following research grants
- UGC Major - 03 Research Projects (2011-2015)
- UGC Minor – 02 Research Projects (2014-2016)
- Mumbai University Minor – 10 Research Project funds (2011-2017)
- Wilson College Seed money from Wilson College for Research Activity of the Department – 06 (2016 -2017)
- The department has published 72 papers in various International and National Journals.
- The department has participated and presented 116 posters/papers in various Internaional and National Conferences.
Consultancy/ Collaborations with various Institutes:
- JAYPEE Institute of Information Technology, Noida.
- Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT), Mumbai
- Bombay College of Pharmacy, Mumbai
- Ecosterile industries, Mumbai
- Mahal Industries, Mumbai
- Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Pharmacy, Mumbai
- Department of Biological Sciences, TIFR.
Highlights and Activities of the Department:
The department has organized various events like National Symposium, Molecular Biology Workshops, Bioinformatics Workshop, Career guidance lectures and National Seminars on topics related to Environment, Medical and Biological Sciences. The department has organized 25 seminars, workshops and conferences.
The S.Y.B.Sc. students are sent on 15 days- 1 month internship to various pharmaceuticals industries, research centres, pathology laboratories and hospitals like N.M Medical Centre, Saifee Hospital, Padmaja Aerobiological Laboratories, Para Lab, SRL Diagnostics, Coke (Wada & Pune), Gokul Dairy (Vashi & Kolhapur), Cadbury, Galentic Pharma, Microexpress Lab, Holy Family Hospital, Amul (Anand), BayView research lab etc to expose them to the application of the subject and also to gain hands on training. This activity is being carried out since 2013.
Two students from the F.Y.B.Sc. Microbiology are sent for a week for ‘National Initiative on Undergraduate Science (NIUS) Programme in Biology’ conducted by Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education. The students are oriented to experimental and theoretical concepts in Biology and students are selected for research projects at HBCSE.
Academic Visits and Industrial Visits
The T.Y.B.Sc. students visit ACTREC, NMIMS Institute and Plant Tissue Culture laboratory (Jhunjhunwala College, Mumbai) & Animal Tissue Culture Laboratory (Bayview Research Laboratory, Mumbai) as a part of their curriculum. The students are oriented towards ongoing research in these fields and their applications. The department has taken the students on Industrial Visits to various places like Goa, Jaipur, Udaipur, Delhi, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Hyderabad etc.
- Analysis of the water sample from Charni Road station (Potability test)
- ‘MICROWORLD’ A two day workshop for high school students of Mumbai
- Honey sample analysis obtained from the tribals at Garhwal (Satwik foundation)
Through interactive teaching methodology involving film, music, photojournalism, poetry writing, digital media, seminar and presentations, we attempt to expose students to varied experiences and cultures, sensitizing their understanding and appreciation of society and the environment. We seek to develop, through the teaching of Language and Literature, critical thinking and an ability to communicate effectively.
career-oriented T.Y.B.A. papers of Popular Culture and Film & Literature prepare students for jobs in Film, Advertising and the New Digital Media.
The Master class series, started over 8 years ago in collaboration with K.C. College and PNP College, offers students the opportunity to interact with experts from the advertising and film industry as also from Journalism and academia in order to learn from their expertise.
Dr (Mrs). Anuradha S. Pendse
Head of the Department
TEACHING CAREER : JUNE, 1988
Dr. Radhika Birmole
TEACHING CAREER : NOVEMBER, 1991
Mrs Meghana Gore
TEACHING CAREER : 1st August 2000
Dr. Joyline Mascarenhas
TEACHING CAREER : JULY, 2010
Prof K Aruna Samudravijay
TEACHING CAREER : JOINED WILSON COLLEGE IN JUNE 1987